Tuesday, March 12, 2013

THE ROOM WITH A BEEHIVE- Book Review

by Comizia Bellocchi Scoccianti
 Translated by Patrizia Argentieri

I always love reminiscing the stories my grandmother used to tell me and reading Room With a Beehive took me back to that place…

The story takes place in Le Marche, Italy in the early 20th c –up to WW1.  It’s a recollection of the events that took place back then, written as a memoir.  Originally written in Italian, the translator, Patirizia Argentieri, does a terrific job at bringing out the essence of the times- nothing seems lost in translation..
As for the author, Comizia Bellocchi Scoccianti, what a story she tells! Reading this transports you into a history that is vivid and fills the senses.  I love memoirs especially because of the imminence of the history- it all feels so real.

Picture the poverty filled with the power of family and unity- the laughter and the sorrow and that which was meaningful always- that’s what this book is about.  I guess that it reached me down deep in my soul more than ever because of my roots, and I could really relate; this could have been my own grandmother. 
But you don’t have to be Italian to enjoy this! Anyone with roots to the old countries will feel a sense of endearment to this precious book.  A very quick read, and definitely a warm comforting soup for the soul:)

I recommend this!
See my mini YoutubeVideo Review Here:  http://youtu.be/W7QlsjFnyLg

1 comment:

Kimberly @ Turning the Pages said...

This one looks like an especially good read! Great review! Hope I can read it soon :)
-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages